Monday, August 15, 2005

Girls' Weekend

It’s always sad to see people drifting in and out of your life. Sure, you meant to be close forever, but that rarely works out in the long term. Did you drag it on painfully, or just peter out? Did you upset each other? Get tired of each other? Just stop having time? Who knows, and why belabor the point? At some point, you give up, and chug ahead.

On the other hand, if I’d never been blessed with anything else in life, I’d be the luckiest girl in the world on account of my family. My parents and siblings and grandparents are wonderful people that I admire, respect, enjoy, and most importantly, love dearly. I miss them when I don’t see them. When I need to make changes, I seek their advice. I can’t remember any fighting in my adult life. There’s no drama, no manipulation, no favorite, no wondering what’s really going on underneath.
Also, we drink a lot of wine and eat a lot of cheese and chocolate.

This weekend was Girls’ Weekend, a tradition my mom started many years ago, which involves the three of us (my mom, my sister, and myself, and NOW, my brother’s wife!) going for a weekend together, usually at a B&B within a couple of hours from here. Occasionally, we go somewhere more distant, like the year we went to the LA County Museum of Art to see the Van Gogh exhibit, or to Chicago to spend a few days in museums. This year was fairly low-key, just a quiet weekend in Half Moon Bay, chatting, knitting, drinking, poking around bookstores…

After all these years, my dad countered with a Boys’ Weekend, and invited Paul to spend the weekend with him and my brother in Sutter Creek at a Ragtime festival. Paul gamely accepted. I think they had at least a little fun, since they went wine tasting.

I spent a good part of my day trying to book the ferry to Isle of Man for next year’s TT. I still don’t know how it works, only that I am supposed to get some information in January, where they confirm my time and fare. I think it sounds overly complicated and kind of like I’m getting screwed, but this is the only way (besides flying, which is out of the question) I still have not found anyone who can actually offer useful advice about travelling to Isle of Man.

And now, Paul and I are starting Mandarin classes this Thursday evening. I’m going to Vegas next weekend for work, though I’ve just found out that my dates are all screwed up. This coming weekend is pretty empty. I’d like to see my sister.

No comments: