Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Why am I here? (Myspace)

So I got some passive aggressive asshole writing me a bunch of obnoxious mail last week (he contacted me), the clincher of which, was, something to the effect of “I think it’s kind of stupid that you’re here trying to hook up with people, yet you write all these angry things about how you don’t want to meet people.”

I think I understand a fundamental problem here, and maybe why I get so many stupid “ADD” and “Hi, you’re hot” messages from strangers. Somehow people assume that because you are using this site, you are here trying to meet them.

Here’s a news flash:
I am not here to meet you.
I am not here looking for a piece of ass.
I’m not here to pretend I have lots of friends.

There are a lot of good uses for this thing, and here are some of the things I’m using myspace for, or have used it for:

1.) Keeping in touch with people I actually already know. And updates on what they are doing and, like, events. Novel, I know.
2.) Spamming my friends list about things I want to do.
3.) Writing really uninteresting journals about the routes I rode over the weekend.
4.) Keeping up with what’s pissing Kevy off today. No, I’m not being facetious.
5.) Randomly finding a long lost ex I’d been wondering about. This rocks. Hi James! Oh, shit, sorry, uhh, didn’t mean to use your real name. Not that the name narrows it down. (If you know me, you’ll get that joke. If you don’t know me, why are you reading this?)
6.) OK, so to be fair, I have made one new friend on this thing, who I hope to be friends with for a while. But that’s a fluke, ya hear? Plus, there was drinking involved.
7.) Worshipping Charles on a daily basis.
8.) Entertainment. Browsing a few of the real losers on the site, and it makes me feel so much better about myself.
9.) Ogling underage straight edge boys without having to hear them talk. THIS is the wonder of modern technology. (this would go under “looking for a piece of ass,” except that I’m not actually interested in contacting. It’s more like looking in the window at the pet store. "Look at the cute little puppy! I'm so glad I don't have to shovel it's shit.")

No comments: