Tuesday, January 02, 2007

2006 (good riddance)

1. What did you do in 2006 that you'd never done before?
I baked my first pie
I saw a bald eagle in the wild
I made my first web page
I spoke at a wake
I met a friendly pigeon



2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I've never been one for New Year's resolutions. I did set a financial goal, which I've done well with, and will continue.
I talked about short and long term goals with Paul. I guess those could be New Year's resolutions:
-New Career
-Learn Chinese (quantitatively: I want to be conversational and understand movies)
-Sew more (quantitatively: I want to finish at least one project a month, and not be afraid to tackle a wedding dress should a friend want me to make theirs. I felt bad having to say I couldn't.)
-Travel (quantitatively: One big trip out of the country, and several short trips on the weekend)



3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes. And my brother's wife is about to pop.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. My grandfather, John Pulskamp, a man the likes of which the world will never see again.

5. What countries did you visit?
I got as far as the check-in at the International Terminal.


6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2008?
Still, from last year this time: a new place to live.
Also, travel, success.

7. What date from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
May 27th, 2006. Excitement, shock, disappointment, anger. To say nothing of the truly horrible thing that happened that day, which I didn't find out about for a week. (oh, yeah, and that fucking CHP officer with a lisp. I'm just glad someone else punched him the face already.)

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Not buckling.


9. What was your biggest failure?
Didn't nag enough. Failed to line up all the ducks. Failed to move on and make the best of what was left. Biggest failure: failure to get a new career.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No. I got a really good bruise crashing at the GP track on Charles' recommendation.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
A headlight modulator for Paul.
and a new Pfaff sewing machine for myself.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Paul's. He took care of me when I was trying to do everything, for everyone. He didn't get mad when I took care of things at the cost of our own sanity.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Still BushCo. I mean, how far can this thing go?


14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, motorcycle, food. Savings. I should eat out less.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Isle of Man. Looking forward to seeing James race. Looking forward to leaving my job. Baking pie. Christmas music.

16. What songs/bands will always remind you of 2006?
I dunno. I'm not a very musically-inclined person.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?
Sadder.

ii. thinner or fatter?
Fatter.

iii. richer or poorer?
Richer

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Riding my motorcycle. Seeing my friends. Having adventures.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Working, feeling sorry for myself.


20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent it with family, same as always. But no grandpa, changed everything.

22. Did you fall in love in 2005?
Every day.

23. How many one night stands?
No.

24. What were your favorite TV programs?
I almost never watch TV any more. We did Tivo, and watch, a tribute to the Yule Log. I also watched a whole lot of Arrested Development on DVD.


(what happened to 25?)


26. What was the best book you read?
Wild Swans. About 3 generations of women in China.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I'm really starting to enjoy that Wo Ai Ni song, but that's so 2005.

28. What did you want and get?
Two sewing machines: one which I needed in order to sew, and an antique, which is beautiful and serves no purpose.

29. What did you want and not get?
A lot. Isle Of Man, Cliffs of Moher, Guinness in Dublin. Learning to drive on the wrong side of the road in a Panda.

30. What was your favorite film(s) of this year?
I don't think we saw anything in the theater? So I'll have to go with any of the bad chinese movies I've been renting from netflix to practice my Mandarin. Like, Hero, or Warriors of Heaven and Earth.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I think we went to Saha or something. I turned 29. This year I want to be with friends and stuff.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A passport.
or
A couple more months.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
Concept... I'm cold a lot at work, so it's all about scarf, gloves, sweater at my desk. Also, toe socks. I love toe socks.

34. What kept you sane?
Paul. Otherwise, I surely would have lost it around August.

35. Which celebrity/public figure(s) did you fancy the most?
How about Warren Buffet? He seems pretty cool.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Fighting the rollback of freedom in the name of security. Killing the un-American "Patriot Act." ACLU is the best, and I am a card-carrying member.

37. Who did you miss?
Grandpa. James.

38. Who was the best new person you met?
New person...? I guess I don't get out much. Jesse and Amy? Quinn? Saul? Emiko?

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006.
It can't always be good times, but how we get along and through in those not-good times is the stuff our character and relationships are truly made of.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
But take your time, think a lot,
Why, think of everything you've got.
For you will still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not.

No comments: