Tuesday, February 24, 2009

It's a salad dressing! No, it's a hair conditioner!

Lately I've been trying a lot of natural body care stuff. It started a few months ago when I got this book from our Li-Berry, and continued when Santa read my Amazon wishlist and brought me this book.

So I've tried a few recipes from the new book and had mixed results. Mostly good.
I've always been somewhat aware of bad ingredients in body products, but now I know enough to never want to buy any "normal" product again.

But I like crafty endeavors, so I enjoyed ordering up a bunch of ingredients from Mountain Rose, and who doesn't love the mad scientist feel of mixing up concoctions with eyedroppers and glass bottles?

The olive oil from Mountain Rose smells sooooo good (really good quality) and I'm enjoying smearing it on my face every night. Paul can never tell whether some food item is in the cupboard for eating or smearing on my face or hair.

Thus far, I'm still looking for a real conditioner recipe. I mean something that feels like regular conditioner. I know people are making conditioner and selling it on etsy, so it has to be easy to do. But so far, I'm only finding food-type conditioners (avocado, eggs, honey, stuff like that) So the search continues. My hair being as long as it is, a lot of the basic assumptions about making conditioners don't work. For instance, a "hair butter" that contained mostly oil was way too heavy and hard to wash out. (maybe I should try it again and dilute it with glycerin?)

1 comment:

Tokyo Biker Mommy said...

If you can't find what you're looking for through natural sources, Skin Deep's database is a good resource: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/index.php?nothanks=1